5.24.2005

Return of the Plot

Here is my five-word, short, non-spoiler Revenge of the Sith review:
Fuck you, I liked it.

Here is the longer one:

George Lucas finally succeeded in creating what’s been his supposed intention for the last twenty years. Namely, create a big-budget, Saturday matinee serial. The kind with swordsmen, cowboys, space ships, evil wizards ,and ham-fisted dialogue all rolled into one. The problem most of us have with this is that the first trilogy has became so much more. They aren’t my movies though, they are his. It just took this long to realize it.

I started drawing because I needed to make new Star Wars adventures. Jedi knights and Sith Lords covered my walls and notebooks. Of course at the time I called them bad Jedi and good Jedi. I also thought ‘the force’ was synonymous with ‘lightsaber’ due to poor wording on my Empire Strikes Back book and record (you will know it is time to turn the page when you hear Artoo-Deeto beep, like this). Hey, I was five.
When I was thirteen I made about a dozen Star Wars home movies on my parents camcorder. Some with toys, some with cardboard sabers and bb guns (I decided I was the smartest person ever when coming up with the idea of loading red party straws into the air-rifle to fire ‘blaster’ shots). The camera I broke three years later filming a climatic ‘Millennium Falcon crashes into Tatooine’ scene.
When I was Seventeen I started my first ‘novel’. It was set in the Star Wars universe and filled with the absurd amount of knowledge gleaned from running Star Wars RPG games for something like 6 years.
That was my Star Wars.

Then I saw the Phantom Menace.
When the opening scrawl inched across the screen Aspirin Kid turned to me and said ‘I am so excited I think blood is going to spray from my fingertips.’ After the movie I remember saying “I do not think I will ever be excited about anything again. Nothing ever lives up to expectations. It all turns into shit.” A gross overstatement, but exactly how I felt at the time: heartbroken.

Attack of the Clones came and went. It was not as excruciating, but even less memorable. I felt George sat down and said, “Hmmm. We need to fill up two hours before we get to the Vader sotry…let ‘s just show Boba Fett a bunch. The kids like Boba Fett.”

And here we are. I went into the theatre thinking simply this. ‘George, just show me something I cannot feel bad about liking. I want to see some Jedi’s knocking stuff over with the force. I want a new space fight (not the RotJ one that was in Phantom, or the ESB one that was in Clowns). And I want to see Anakin fuck some Jedi up. Show me why he is the most evil thing in the galaxy. If you could throw a bunch of A New Hope references that will make the nerd in me slobber all the better (though no more of this Darth Vader sewed all the clothes that the characters wore in the other movies bullshit). I had been so beaten down that’s where I was. I just wanted to live in that universe one last time, and then let it all go. And I got it.

I cannot tell you if it was a good film. On the scale of other movies it probably was, but Star Wars is not other movies. What I got was the realization that this is just a movie and these characters are not mine, and that is okay. We cannot hang on to our childhoods forever. If this is the way this part of mine ends, fine. I’ve grown up, and I can like the movies George is trying to make for himself. I should be making my own stories now instead of telling him why Artoo can’t fly, anyway.

Oh, and those four duels were pretty neat.

What say you my little padawans?

3 Comments:

Blogger Cinder said...

And for some nerd minutiae:

*The worst,WORST scene in the thing was “I love you more.” “No I love you more.” “How could you love me more ,when I love you more.” And of course the big “Nooooooooooo.”

** On the plus sides: the opening space fight all the way up until he decaps Dooku. That was fun, a little cheesy but no more so than Jabba’s palace.

The other scene the 'got my goat' was Bail, ObiWan, and Yoda discussing how they should separate and take the twins.

C’mon. That was pretty rad.

25.5.05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent blog, V.

For the record, during the opening scrawl of Episode I, blood did indeed spray out of my fingertips. After the cock tease of the Star Wars Special Edition releases, to be sitting in the dark movie theater with all my friends watching Phantom Menace was too good to be true. We actually bought tickets to the Adam Sandler movie The Waterboy just to see the trailer and snuck into Meet Joe Black to catch it a second time on the big screen. We almost got into a fist fight out in the movie theater parking lot with an old high school nemesis. We waited in line with a hundred other people overnight for advance tickets. Mark fucking wrestled with cancer and the whole time we half-joked "You have to beat it to see Star Wars. You can't miss it! STAR WARS!" But it really WAS too good to be true. George Lucas basically took my childhood mythology, squatted over it, and took a huge steaming dump on it. When the lights went up, I remember we all just kind of looked at each other in disbelief. Did we wait twenty years for that?!? There was almost 20 minutes of redeemable footage, the rest was garbage and I think most of us were brought down even more with the realization that we had bought tickets to see it again already!

Episode II came. There was no sneaking into movie theaters to catch the trailer this time around. There was no advance tickets or seeing it at midnight on opening day. There was no way in hell I was going to be fooled again. I did eventually see the movie but already having steeled myself, I dismissed it as more self-indulgent crap. Not even an acrobatic Yoda monkey could save that film.

Then something happened.

Maybe it was the leaked script on the internet. Or maybe seeing some production stills from the movie. I actually started getting excited about it again. On New Years Eve, in Connecticut, we all sat around well past respectable bedtimes to just shoot the shit about Star Wars. The more we talked, the more I started getting really giddy again about it. Maybe I was setting myself up for disappointment again but I didn't care. I started searching for spoilers and rumors.

Which brings me to last Wednesday night, I sat in a dark theater with Phil, Shafik, my sister Melanie, and her boyfriend Eric to see supposedly the last Star Wars movie.

*** SPOILERS BEGIN ***

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*

I'll just skip right to my opinion and say that I really fucking liked it. When it ended, I was actually a little disappointed that it was over. I was actually enjoying myself. Sure, it was definitely a flawed movie but it was heaps better than Episode I and II and I really think that this movie is good enough to stand alongside the original trilogy.

THE GOOD:
Count Dooku and Anakin rematch. Points for Lucas to tying it into the last third of Return of the Jedi. Hell, I think even Dooku's lines were lifted from that.

Ian Macdiarmid as Senator/Emporer/Darth Sidious. He is one scenery chewing motherfucker.

Watching how Palpatine was able to turn Anakin. I have to admit, I had my reservations. I wanted to really see how Palpatine was able to turn a respected Jedi Knight into basically Space Hitler so for me, Lucas better make me believe it. Being myself a sappy married person, I could see Anakin throwing everything away for a girl. Love makes you insanely stupid, you know.

The Jedi not having a clue what the hell is going on until it's too late. Poor Mace Windu. Order 66 being given was brilliant.

Anakin being "knighted" as Darth Vader. I got fucking goosebumps.

Yoad versus Sidious! Man, he took a spill! I guess that's why he's all gimpy in Episode V. Who's with me fellas?

Obi-Wan and Anakin battle. It was great. I really felt for Obi-Wan. It's a credit to Ewan MacGregor that I almost got teary when he cut off Anakin's legs and left him to burn. "You were the Chosen One! You were supposed to destroy the Sith not become one of them!" *sob

Kashykk! 'Nuff said.

The birth of the twins! Yay! We've come full circle.

The birth of Darth Vader. When he asks about Padme and all the machinery around him is crushed by the Force, I actually got a little scared.

NO JAR JAR!


THE BAD:
R2D2 takes on the droid army. Oh man. We see the return of those rockets that R2 uses to fly around with. I had to grit my teeth every time the droids spoke. "Roger Roger!" brings too many painful memories of Episode I.

Any scene with Padme and Anakin. Their dialogue is so atrociously bad and their chemistry non-existant that I actually had to force myself to believe that her character lets him have sex with her. Either that or the twins were immaculately conceived by the Force ala Anakin in Episode I. umm, no.

Does anyone remember after Episode I when Qui-Gonn didn't vanish after he was killed and the internet boards lit up with anger and questions? Lucas had promised to show us why that happened. I felt the scene near the end where Yoda was like "Oh yeah, ummm I have to show you something that ummm Qui-Gonn showed me ... " felt a little tacked on. Qui-Gonn has been speaking to him from the afterlife, huh? Why didn't they show us anything really? They alluded a little but in Episode II when Anakin was slaughtering sandpeople, Yoda was in a trance and you heard Qui-Gonn yell Anakin but that was about it. I just thought trying to explain the whole Force ghost thing was a little rushed and more like an afterthought than anything. It should've gotten more of an explanation. This is the reason of how Obi-Wan still mentors Luke! feh.

Darth Vader breaking his bonds after finding out Padme was killed by his own hand looked too Frankenstein-ish - a little on the cheesy side.

Darth Vader screaming "NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!" with arms outstretched. I half expected a crane shot looking down at him and cue the rainstorm.

Obi-Wan giving Luke to Owen and Beru. No lines for them? Nothing? "Here's a baby for you, now go look at that sunset!"


Am I being too nit-picky??

*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
*
**** SPOILERS END


On a scale of 1 to 10, I give it a high 6, low 7.

It's got me thinking. I assume everyone here subscribes to the auteur theory that the artist's work is his own and can do whatever he wishes to it. Then why do we give George such a hard time? It's his movies, it's his own self-contained universe. Can't he be allowed to tinker it and (in his mind) refine it? When all these movies finally come out on DVD and I get to sit and watch them all at once, they will definitely not be the same movies I saw when I was a kid.

25.5.05  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The auteur theory is crap. Sorry guys. There are just too may people involved in making a movie to say that it is the work of a single author. The director has a roll. The writer has a roll. And some times they are the same person, but that person didn't shoot the movie or light it of edit it or come up with the concept drawings for it. It's far more collaborative than people like to believe - especially directors.

The ghost of Hitchcock can blow me if he feels differently.

31.5.05  

Post a Comment

<< Home